Golden Age Premier PRE-73 PREMIER
1073 Style Microphone Preamp
The PRE-73 PREMIER is a one-channel vintage style microphone-, line- and instrument preamplifier. The signal path uses only discrete components like resistors, capacitors and transistors. The in- and output is transformer balanced, using two different transformers, each one optimized for its purpose. This is the way audio components were built before integrated circuits became available.
The circuit used in the PRE-73 PREMIER is similar to the preamp section in the classical 1073 module with a corresponding sound character that is warm, punchy, sweet and musical. These classic characteristics have been heard on countless recordings through the years and it is a versatile sound that works very well on most sound sources and in most genres. The essence of this sound is now available at a surprisingly low cost, making it available to nearly everyone.
“Gentle but effective tonal shaping at source. In essence, these new Premier preamps continue the already excellent GA Project heritage, but add great vintage looks and a more reliable and better-sounding construction — yet without pushing the budget too far upwards. Very nice indeed!”
– Sound On Sound
“After trying multiple microphones (dynamics, ribbons, condensers) and different Instruments and vocalists I can absolutely recommend it to anyone looking for that “NEVE” Sound”
“The second device, the second hit. The sound of the Golden Age Premier PRE-73 is almost indistinguishable from the original. But the designer of the Golden Age goes one step further and expand the classic 1073concept with several useful options.”
Sound on Sound review
A German speaking video
Blind shoot-out: http://bit.ly/Premier-PRE-73_vs_Neve-1073DPA
Normal shoot-out: http://bit.ly/Premier-PRE-73_vs_Neve-1073DPA_GS
- Vintage Style electronics. No integrated circuits in the signal path.
- Maximum gain in mic mode is 80 dB, enough to handle passive ribbon mics with quiet sound sources.
- Gain switch range is 20 80 dB. Line mode switch, gain is reduced by 30 dB in line mode.
- Selectable two position high frequency air eq boost mode, 3 or 6 dB @ 30 kHz.
- Selectable 6 dB/octave high pass filter at around 80 Hz (HP1) or 200 Hz (HP2).
- 14 dB output pad allowing the user to overdrive the output stage and transformer.
- Switchable impedance in mic mode, 1200 or 300 Ohm, will change the tone of most mics. The input impedance in line mode is 10 kOhm.
- Switchable phantom power and absolute phase.
- A high-impedance instrument input for any sound module, electric guitar or bass.
- A simple but effective 4-step LED output level meter.
- The output level control makes it possible to make fine gain adjustments and also to overload the main gain stage(s) for more character.
- Combo XLR/TRS input jack and separate output XLR and TRS jacks for flexible connections.
- Insert jack for inserting EQ´s and other units.
- Selectable 600 Ohm output termination.
- Classic style knobs and buttons.
- Prepared for mounting one or two units in the UNITE PREMIER rack kit.
- It can also be mounted in one of the other UNITE rack kits and combined –with the red and black Golden Age Project products.
- Connector free internal wiring, all connections except the ones to the gain switch –are soldered for the purest signal and most longterm stable signal path.
- UK made Carnhill input and line output transformers.
- Polystyrene capacitors in the amplifier circuits.
- Tantalum capacitors in the signal path.
- Beefed up power supply.
- Sturdy toggle switches with gold plated contacts.
- External power supply to avoid interaction with the audio circuits and transformers.
- A solid build quality that will last many years of normal use.